There are a number of different types of programs used to treat chemical dependency and addiction, each of them utilizing their own form of guidelines. Christian rehab programs often use the bible's laws of morality and the teachings of Jesus Christ as the groundwork for their treatment, while homeopathic and naturopathic programs use spirituality and and the laws of nature to guide patients along in their journeys. 12 step recovery programs use the twelve steps themselves to work as a rigid structure in which patients can navigate their way to sobriety. The twelve steps are as follows:
- We admitted we were powerless over alcohol - that our lives had become unmanageable.
- Came to believe that a Power greater than ourselves could restore us to sanity.
- Made a decision to turn our will and our lives over to the care of God as we understood Him.
- Made a searching and fearless moral inventory of ourselves.
- Admitted to God, to ourselves, and to another human being the exact nature of our wrongs.
- Were entirely ready to have God remove all these defects of character.
- Humbly asked Him to remove our shortcomings.
- Made a list of all persons we had harmed, and became willing to make amends to them all.
- Made direct amends to such people wherever possible, except when to do so would injure them or others.
- Continued to take personal inventory, and when we were wrong, promptly admitted it.
- Sought through prayer and meditation to improve our conscious contact with God as we understood Him, praying only for knowledge of His will for us and the power to carry that out.
- Having had a spiritual awakening as the result of these steps, we tried to carry this message to alcoholics, and to practice these principles in all our affairs.
Above It All Treatment Center in California is a huge proponent of the 12 step program, but also employs other treatment types in its arsenal of programs. Above It All understands that patients battling addiction often feel that they are at a dead end, or "have hit rock bottom." When a patient reaches this point, it is essential to illustrate a way out that not only gives them the initial push towards success, but also escorts them all the way through to sobriety.
To learn more about drug and alcohol treatment programs, and how their structures can offer higher chances of success, read about the program options Above It All offers at: